当前位置:首页 -> 留学 -> 托福
历年TOEFL听力常考的55个习语(2)
   http://www.edu999.com     2006-7-28        来源:不详      浏览次数:
 

 

     29)bite off more than one can chew 贪多嚼不烂;心有余而力不足;不自量力;力不从心 

  Model: 

  --I hear you’ve been taking an advanced physics course this semester. How’s it going? (我听说这学期你在上高等物理课。这门课怎么样?) 

  --I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. (我是心有余而力不足啊。) 

  30)break new ground 创新 

  Model: 

  --His architectural design broke new ground in the field. (他的建筑设计是这个领域里的创新。) 

  31)do the trick 做成功;达到理想的结果 

  Model: 

  --I’ve been trying to get the furnace started, but I can’t find the right switch. (我尽力想让炉子燃起来,可不知道该按哪个键。) 

  --Here, I believe this one in the back will do the trick. (这里,我相信后面按这个键,可以让炉子燃起来。) 

  32)drag one’s feet 行动缓慢;磨磨蹭蹭不情愿 

  Model: 

  --How’s Bob coming along on his dissertation proposal? (Bob的论文计划进展地怎么样了?) 

  --He’s really been dragging his feet. (他很磨蹭的。) 

  33)draw the line 拒绝,拒不容忍 

  Model: 

  --Paul expects me to clean the room every week. (Paul想让我每周打扫房间。) 

  --That’s where I draw the line. (可是我绝对不会答应的。 

  34)feel down in the dumps 心情不好;情绪低落 

  Model: 

  --Kate was really feeling down in the dumps about her latest chemistry assignment. (Kate为最近的化学作业成绩感到很沮丧。) 

  35)few and far between 不多;少而分散的;不常碰到或发现的;稀少的 

  Model: 

  --Steve is really a terrific guy. (Steve真是不简单。) 

  --He sure is. Ones like him are few and far between. (当然。像他那样的人可不多见。) 

  36)fit as a fiddle 身体很健康 

  Model: 

  -- Harry! How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages. (Harry,你好吗?好久没看见你了。) 

  --I’m fit as a fiddle. This exercise program I’m following is terrific. (我身体好极了。我正进行的这个锻炼计划太棒了。) 

  37)grin and bear 任劳任怨;毫无怨言地忍受 

  Model: 

  --Carla,I can’t take this job any longer. (Carla,我不能再做这份工作了。) 

  --If you need the money, you’ll just have to grin and bear it. ( 如果你需要钱,你就得忍耐。) 

  38)hit the spot (特指吃了食物,喝了饮料之后)精神完全恢复过来或感到满足;恢复精力;提精神 

  Model: 

  --This Lemonade sure hits the spot.(柠檬汁太提神了。) 

  --And how! (当然了!) 

  39)keep between the two of us 不让第三者知道,保密 

  Model: 

  --What I’m going to say is rather personal, so let’s keep between the two of us. (我要讲的纯属私事,所以希望你能保密。) 

  40)know a thing or two about 略知一二 

  Model: 

  --Do you think Andy could help us plan the camping trip to West Virginia? (你认为Andy会帮我们计划去西弗吉尼亚州野营吗?) 

  --Well, since he spends every summer there, he might know a thing or two about it. (可能吧。他每个夏天都去那儿,应该知道一些事儿。) 

  41)leave no stone unturned 不遗余力;全力以赴 

  Model: 

  --Lynn left no stone unturned in her research, and handed in an excellent paper. (Lynn全力以赴做她的研究,交了一篇优秀的论文。) 

  42)on cloud nine 沉浸在幸福之中;非常高兴 

  Model: 

  --Marcia looks like she’s on cloud nine. Do you know what made her so happy? (Marcia好象沉浸在幸福之中。你知道她为什么这么高兴吗?) 

  --She just had a paper accepted for publication. (她有一篇文章要发表了。) 

  43)on the tip of one’s tongue 一时想不起来,话到嘴边又忘记 

  Model: 

  --Are you sure you can’t remember the name of that record? (你肯定记不起来那张唱片的名字吗?) 

  --It’s just on the tip of my tongue! (我就是一时想不起来了。 

  44)reach the bottom of the barrel 用完,弹尽粮绝 

  Model: 

  --Don’t you have any other clean shirts? (你还有其它干净衬衫吗?) 

  --I guess I’ve reached the bottom of the barrel. (我想我已经用完了。) 

  45)rub sb. the wrong way 使(某人)有点恼火;惹怒;引起反感;烦扰,打搅 

  Model: 

  --What do you think of our new economics instructor? (你觉得新经济学老师怎么样?) 

  --I don’t know. Something about him rubs me the wrong way. (不知怎么的,他有点让我反感。) 

  46)scratch the surface 只懂皮毛,很不了解(通常和限制性副词如only, hardly等词连用) 

  Model: 

  --You’ve certainly done a lot of research for your project. (你显然对你的课题做了不少研究。) 

  --It seems like a lot, but actually I’ve only scratched the surface. (看上去不少,但事实上我只懂一些毛皮。) 

  47)up in the air 尚未决定的;捉摸不定的;悬而未决的 

  Model: 

  --Her plans for the weekend are still up in the air. (她尚未决定如何度过这个周末。) 

  48)wear and tear 磨损;消耗 

  Model: 

  --Why do you always put on slippers when you go into your apartment? (为什么你老是一进公寓就穿上拖鞋?) 

  --It saves wear and tear on the carpet. (拖鞋不磨损地毯。) 

  49)with flying colors 大获全胜;胜利地 

  Model: 

  --How did Ellen do on her Ancient History exam? (Ellen古代史考得怎么样?) 

  --She passed with flying colors. (她考得好极了。) 

  50)get off on the wrong foot 开始就不顺利;一开始就犯了个错误 

  Model: [1995.5.] 

  --I hate to get off on the wrong foot. (我讨厌一开始就犯错误。) 

  51)get on someone’s nerves 使人不安,使人心烦 

  Model: [1996.8.] 

  --Why did you come to the meeting late? I left a message with your roommate about the time change. (为什么你开会迟到?我让你的同屋告诉你改时间的事了。) 

  --She has a very short memory and it really gets on my nerves sometimes. (她记性不好,有时真让我心烦。) 

  52)give someone a break 不要去管,饶了某人吧 

  Model: [1994.5.] 

  --Give me a break. I’m nervous enough as it is. (不要管我,我已经够紧张了。) 

  53)head and shoulders above (在…方面)强于某人 

  Model: [1991.10.] 

  --In computer programming, Susan is head and shoulders above the rest of us.(在计算机编程上,Susan比我们强。) 

  54)in the red 赤字,负债 

  Model: [1996.5.] 

  --So far the clubs are about three hundred dollars in the red, and we still have four months to go before membership renewal. ( 到目前为止,俱乐部有300元赤字,然而还有4个月才到交会员费的时间。) 

  --Well, we may have to raise our dues.(那么,我们必须提高会员费了。) 

  55)in the dark 一无所知;不了解情况 

  Model: [1994.1.] 

  --Do you have any idea what this notice is about? (你知道这通知讲的是什么吗?) 

  --I’m as in the dark as you are. (我也跟你一样不了解情况。)

 
 
  [网友评论]
你的 姓名:   匿名发表
评论内容:
发表评论:
中国教育招生在线论坛欢迎您!  >>进入
  [热门评论]
  [相关信息]